The State Historical Society of Missouri's collection is non-circulating; however, an interlibrary loan (ILL) service makes microfilm available to patrons who cannot visit one of our research centers in Columbia, St. Louis, Rolla, Kansas City, Springfield, or Cape Girardeau. The Society's circulating microfilm collections include:
- selected high-demand county history books
- city and county directories
- land ownership maps
Find the resource you need using the following:
- To find a newspaper, use the Society's catalog of Missouri Newspapers on Microfilm at the State Historical Society
- To find a manuscript, you can do a keyword search on the Introduction to the Manuscript Collection: http://shs.umsystem.edu/manuscripts/index.shtml. Alternatively, you can browse by subject headings: http://shs.umsystem.edu/manuscripts/invent/subject.html. Please remember that the collection will only be available through interlibrary loan if it is on microfilm.
- To find city directories, maps, or periodicals, use the Society's Guide to Selected Holdings on Microfilm at the State Historical Society of Missouri
- Use MERLIN - The Univ. of Missouri's Online Catalog to search for books, journals, atlases and other titles including the Society's newspaper collection.
For newspapers a citation includes:
- town of publication
- title of the newspaper
- the date or time period needed
- the roll number
For manuscripts a citation includes:
- title of collection
- collection number
- folder, volume, and/or roll numbers
For material other than newspapers, you will need to provide:
- publication date
- call number (if possible)
The resources mentioned above will help you obtain this information.
The Society charges an ILL fee depending upon your membership level and geographic location:
- Non-members pay $15.00 for loans within the United States, $25.00 for international loans to their local library.
- Members of the Society pay a discounted rate of $13.50 for microfilm loans to be sent to their local library.
- Direct microfilm loaning to a member’s home address is available for $10.00 to those who join the Society at the Supporting, Sustaining, Patron, or Life membership levels.
Payment of the ILL fee is required in advance of the loan.
Instructions for direct loans:
- Loan fees are due in advance.
- Please provide a complete street address for delivery. (UPS cannot deliver to post office boxes.) Without a street address the Society must charge an additional $15.00 fee.
- Materials are loaned for two weeks.
- A maximum of two reels may be borrowed per loan at the one cost of $10.00. Should a request require more than 2 reels, the first 2 available reels will be sent. A new request cannot be shipped until the current loan is received at the Society.
- Please return all loan materials in sturdy cardboard boxes at UPS or First Class Insured Mail. Do Not Use Jiffy Mailers.
- Note the borrower is responsible for replacement or repair costs for any damage or loss during the loan period.
- The Society regrets it cannot place any materials on reserve.
Questions concerning the Society's interlibrary loan service can be directed to email@example.com.